BMA watermark crest

Applications for Seafarer’s Documents

Certificate of Recognition (Endorsement)

The Bahamas Maritime Authority requires that all Certificates of Competency for non-Bahamian officers must be recognised (endorsed) by the Bahamas.

STCW also requires that GMDSS and Tanker Certificates of Proficiency shall be endorsed by the flag state.

To recognise a foreign certificate, the issuing country needs to have an STCW I/10 with The Bahamas. The registry has agreements with most seafaring nations and countries.

Bahamas also issues Seaman’s Record Books that owners can use to provide a record of service in compliance with MLC.

All applications for flag state endorsements shall be made electronically through our online system, BORIS. Managers will get access to BORIS by contacting the Seafarers and Manning Department.


Phone: +44 20 7562 1300
Email: [email protected]

Bahamas accepts STCW Regulation VI Certificates of Proficiency that are issued by a state that is on the IMO Whitelist.

Applications for Bahamas Nationals

BMA accepts paper applications from Bahamas nationals. Paper applications from Bahamas nationals should be submitted to the Nassau office.

Notice of Eligibility to Sit a Bahamas Assessment

BMA arranges assessments for Bahamians who have been trained for a STCW Certificate of Competence in navigation or marine engineering. The assessment dates are published in BMA Information Notice 01. Currently two assessment sessions are arranged per year, one in June and one in November.

Candidates to sit a Bahamas assessment need to get a Notice of Eligibility. The requirements for a Notice of Eligibility are spelled out in BMA Bulletin 104.

When it is confirmed that an applicant is eligible he/she will receive a Notice of Eligibility (NoE) which they are required to bring for both the written and oral assessments. The result of the assessment will be noted on the NoE and the note passed for both written and oral assessments will entitle the candidate to receive a Certificate of Competency by presenting the NoE.

Revalidation of Certificates

Bahamians who need their certificates revalidated shall apply for revalidation via the Nassau office. Bahamas Certificates of Competency and -Proficiency will be revalidated when the requirements in BMA Bulletin 130 are complied with.

Applications for CoP’s for Bahamas National may also be issued by the BMA, however, please that training institutions are also approved to issue certain Certificates of Proficiency.